The Ministry of Defence Police… a Force with a difference
The Ministry of Defence Police (MDP) is currently seeking applications from serving and recently retired police officers from other forces, for vacancies across the UK.
Here we take a look at the role of the MDP and how the Force delivers a range of specialist policing capabilities.
Who are the MDP?
The Ministry of Defence Police (MDP) is a national civilian police force that serves the Ministry of Defence (MOD), US Visiting Forces and other UK Government Departments.
What is the role of the MDP?
The MDP is equipped to respond to a range of crime and security related threats and risks that require specialist and dedicated civilian policing capabilities. These threats include:
• Terrorist attack and the threat of such attacks across the UK
• Disruption and disorder caused by protesters
• Unauthorised intrusion onto the Defence Estate
• Theft or compromise of, and damage to, key assets that would have a significant impact upon Defence capability
• Major financial fraud and corruption that would have a significant impact upon Defence capability
To achieve this, the MDP provides the following operational services:
• Armed Nuclear Policing and Security: A specialist dedicated armed policing and security service in support of the UK’s strategic nuclear deterrent
• Territorial Policing and Security: A dedicated armed policing and security service in support of the protection of non-nuclear Defence sites
• Operational Surge: An armed capable mobile policing and security resource that can be deployed at short notice in response to both Defence and national security requirements
• Intelligence Gathering and Analysis: To counteract Defence crime and security threats and to facilitate the most efficient and effective deployment of MDP resources
• Crime Prevention, Investigation and Detection: To prevent, investigate and detect fraud, corruption and the theft of or criminal damage to key Defence equipment and assets
• International Policing: In support of Defence operations overseas and other international policing commitments in support of UK Government policy
• Support to wider UK Government requirements: Including supporting the wider UK Counter Terrorism response, and providing policing and security services to US Visiting Forces and other UK Government Departments and customers on a full repayment basis
How does the MDP deliver?
The MDP delivers operational policing services using a range of specialist policing capabilities that include:
• Armed policing and security that meets national policing standards
• Various specialist armed policing units including the Tactical Firearms Unit, the Special Escort Group and Protester Removal Teams
• Specialist police dogs and handlers
• The largest Marine Policing capability in the UK
• A Crime Command – Focused on counter terrorism investigation and intelligence capabilities, and combating the threat of major fraud, theft, bribery and corruption to Defence interests